Forces loyal to the Libyan
unity government are pushing against Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the
northern city of Sirte despite obstacles to their progress such as mines
and snipers.
"Our forces... are trying to
strengthen their advance with the support of… American air strikes,"
Reda Issa, a spokesman for the loyalists to the UN-backed Government of
National Accord (GNA), said on Wednesday.
The Libyan forces launched a military operation in May to retake Sirte, which fell to Daesh last year.
They
managed to enter the city on June 9, and have liberated several
residential districts since then. However, their advance slowed as Daesh
hit back with sniper fire, car bombs and attacks.
"The battle's
outcome is not settled... But there is no doubt that the presence of
effective and accurate weapons will accelerate the end of the battle,”
Issa said, adding that some targets in Sirte are difficult to hit
“because they are among the houses.” Italy ready to open airbases for Daesh strikes
In
another development on Wednesday, Italian Defense Minister Roberta
Pinotti said his country would likely allow the use of its airbases and
airspace for strikes against Daesh in Libya if the US asks for such
permission.
"The
government is ready to consider positively a request to use airbases and
national airspace, and support the operation, if it is believed that it
would lead to a more rapid and effective conclusion of the ongoing
action," she said.
On Monday, Washington
launched a campaign allegedly targeting Daesh positions in Libya at the
request of the Tripoli-based unity government.
Sirte’s recapture would be a major blow to Daesh, which has faced a series of setbacks in Syria and Iraq.
0 comments:
Post a Comment