Mar 29, 2019

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How to work with a developer who avoids reading?

Ask HN: How to work with a developer who avoids reading?
2 by scandox | 0 comments on Hacker News.
Someone recently joined our team as a junior dev. Their work is good, but I noticed that when they're learning something new they generally watch a video. Often it seems to me to find out how to do something that is effectively a couple of lines of code. I asked them about it and they said they remember things better when they visually see the effect it has. Also there are times when I ask a specific question like "What does such and such a library function return?" and they'll say "two strings" but don't know if it's a list or a tuple, of if it ever returns None, or whether it raises an Error etc. So at that point I'll open up the library documentation and read it with them. But they will never on their own initiative open the docs. They do read SO and tutorials. I'm struggling a bit to collaborate with them because I have a strong bias towards reading (docs or books) to understand and they seem to have the exact opposite. They seem almost sad when I send them a link to raw information.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

Site Search